SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 2

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:56:18 -0500
>----------------- Original message (ID=3513D561) (32 lines)
>-------------------
>Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:54:57 -0600
>From: Sandy Camargo <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: foreign-language films
>
>Does this seem like a reasonable idea? Are there films that we might use in
>teaching undergraduates that some of you might prefer to use in a dubbed
>version?

Italian films up until the '80s were remarkably slack regarding the sync of
mouths to ITALIAN dialogue.  If you watch, say, Lina Wertmuller films from
the '70s you'll be struck by the lack of sync.  My understanding is that
all Italian films of that time had the Italian dialogue dubbed in
post-production.

I'm tempted with those films to go for the English dubbing since it's
hardly worse than the Italian dubbing.

P.S.  In a recent trip to Poland I learned that Polish TV has all of its
foreign product (U.S. dramas, Mexican telenovelas, etc.) dubbed by one
person.  He speaks the Polish dialogue over the original language, which
remains in the background. Quite disconcerting!

And he must be one busy voice-over dude!

----
Jeremy Butler
http://www.tcf.ua.edu/jbutler
Telecommunication & Film/University of Alabama/Tuscaloosa/AL