SCREEN-L Archives

June 1998, Week 1

Sender:
From:
liora moriel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 08:52:33 -0400
Cautionary note indeed--BUT--is this the best/worst case for us averge
users for academic purposes? Perhaps not.
For example: the Hollywood Reporter is a commercial enterprise.
-- they used a publicity photo
-- they credited the wrong person

Or is this hairsplitting?
I have a stake in this debate since I've submitted four stills from a
movie (taken from the VHS version) to accompany an article to be published
in an academic book. I thought that was fair use. Now it seems that even
had I bought stills from a dealer I might be liable.  Does this make
sense?  Surely not! (?...)

Liora Moriel
Comparative Literature Program
University of Maryland
2107 Susquehanna Hall
College Park, MD 20742-8825
"We have cooperated for a very long time in the maintenance of our own
invisibility.  And now the party is over."                - Vito Russo

http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite