SCREEN-L Archives

August 1995, Week 2

From:
Barbara Bernstein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara Bernstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 1995 21:38:53 PDT
I have no concrete information for Scott, but I remember thinking that
this would be a great gimmick.  I had just seen "Death Wish," where
Charles Bronson becomes a vigilante in New York City and goes around
shooting rapists, muggers, and various other scum.  At the very end he
has to leave NYC (I think the cops are on to him but, since they
approve of what he's doing, they give him a chance to get away.)  In
the final shot he gets off a plane and walks with rugged determination
past a sign that says "Welcome to Chicago."  I was in Chicago at the
time, and the audience went wild, cheering and whistling.  I wondered
if the filmmakers had simply picked Chicago as the next logical place
for Bronson to turn up, or whether there was a different final shot for
each big city where the film played.  Apparently not, but I still think
it would have been a good idea.

Barbara Bernstein                       email: [log in to unmask]
Kinexis, San Francisco,  CA