SCREEN-L Archives

March 1994

Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 1994 15:11:20 -0500
I appreciate Stephen Hart's comments about some people being
'educated' by entertainment films -- like SCHINDLER'S LIST.

I only hope he doesn't come away from Oliver Stone films thinking
he's now mastered the Sixties.   STone's  JFK was hardly an
'education' in behind-the-scenes Cold War politics -- and this
 was precisely why so many were upset by it, because many did feel
they'd  'learned' something from the film  -- other than what's in
the mind of Oliver Stone.

Not too many years ago, when I was a teenager, it seemed the
TV airwaves were inundated with WWII and Holocaust footage.
Seems I grew up seeing those films of the bodies being bulldozed
into open pits.... over and and over....

If many are today finding films like JFK and SCHINDLER'S LIST
'educational,' one can only hope their education won't stop there.
Perhaps these films should be followed by one of those
'suggested reading' notices that accompany some TV movies.

Derek Bouse