SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Lee Elliott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 1994 11:46:00 EST
This is not a a thorough criticsm, just some advice.  I don't have time
to say all the things I want to say about this film write now (got to do
the work thing, you know).  I'll have to write that this weekend because
there is so much to say about this film (a lot of truly bizarre
pyscho-sexual subtext on writer/director Cameron's part).  But I will
tell you, see at the biggest place you can, preferably the Ziegfeld if
you live in NY, get ready to have your ears damaged and expect some
unexpected savvy humor (nice surprise).
 However, also expect to be disgusted and bored by one of the subplots.
Its really just a James Bond movie (and I love Bond) so if you like Bond,
you'll like True Lies
You'll understand why the film was $100 million plus when you see its
scope, and its unbelievable final half-hour.
 Back with more on Monday...

Lee Elliott