SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

Sender:
From:
Joe Camacho <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 12:36:14 CST
There was an article in the New York Times several weeks back about how Hollywoo
d is buying up the domestic distribution rights of foreign films with plans to
remake them into "Americanized" versions. Although this is not new in itself
what is new is the volume of work acquired. Many French films are being complete
ly withheld from American distribution even in the art house circuits. If we
 have problems seeing Third World films now what till next year.
        One exception where I live is the increasing popularity of Hong Kong films
 amongst the college students. Apparently many like their violence straight
 without Tarantino's middle class filters