SCREEN-L Archives

April 1993

Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 1993 17:06:14 EDT
*
* Well, Mark.  Everyone who lives in Bloomington, Indiana, loves _Breaking
* Away_ and I'm no exception.  However, I wouldn't exactly call the women's
* roles memorable.  I hardly remember the two younger women, Kathy and Nancy
* (played by Robyn Douglass and Amy Wright).  Barbara Barrie, who played
* Dennis Christopher's mom, was nominated for an Academy Award for Best
* Supporting Actress.  But the central focus of the movie was the relationships
* among the young men.  I found the women peripheral to the issues explored
* in the movie.
*
I guess what I meant was that the female characters in the movie were not
prostitutes or simply there for men's gratification. Robyn Douglas' character
dumped Christopher's when she found out she'd been lied to, and by the end of
the film was pursuing her own interests in europe as opposed to staying with
Christopher cause she needed a man. Barbara Barrie's role was typical
in that she played a housewife, but she proved pretty adept at making it
human or at least not asburdly fictional.
That the focus was on the men of the story is not bad per se; and I thought
the portrayal of their relationships with women was pretty respectful. The
female roles were the same way--not memorable, perhaps, but respectful.

--
Mark Bunster                      |I'm a Christian, and my ears are not
Survey Research Lab--VCU          |garbage cans.