SCREEN-L Archives

April 1994

Sender:
From:
Sterling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Apr 1994 15:50:00 EDT
Apparently Henry Jenkins post seemed to if not discourage listers from
continue the discussion at least attracted some scorn.  I really don't
see why the discussion has come to an end, but I'm beginning to realize
that there must be some informal netiquette or styles/devices which
are probably more specifically appropriate to a newsgroup.
  It seems that one should present only half-baked ideas
on the newsgroup --or at least pace out your argument in installments
and leaving some sort of at least implied question.

At any rate, it seems to me that a general difference between utopia
stories in the two different tradition Jenkins mentions is that the
science fiction/societal sort constructs the utopia/dystopia around
characters (and/or audience) while the utopia tradition in classical
Hollywood films contruct it "within" characters/audience.

That is, the sci-fi constructs more overtly an entire new diegetic
world which implicitly differs from the audience's world while the
classical Hollywood film also constructs a fictional diegetic world
but it tends to be more similar to the "normal" world perhaps.  How-
ever it is the characters which strive for utopia (and achieve it if
there's a happy ending).
If such is the case, the "personal" tradition might tend to have
characters in a faulted world striving for a utopic world, while with
"societal" tradition, it might be more like the individuals (and any
identifying audience members) trying to adjust/strive for this brave
new world.

I guess this tends to overgeneralize, but I'll leave it at that.  Ra-
ther than see it through utopia/dystopia I guess one could see it from
the social-individual angle.

Sterling Chen