SCREEN-L Archives

April 1996, Week 3

From:
Eugene Walz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Apr 1996 14:35:03 -0600
>>I have recently been assigned to pick and write a paper on a film
>>auteur for class.  Since I have just been an observer on this list
>>up until now, I am interested to know if anyone has any recommendations.
>
>Without subjecting myself to a debate on the the validity of the auteur
>theory, I would suggest two directors who have rarely been discussed within
>such a framework (and who I think are "auteurs"): Phillip Kaufman (The
>Wanderers, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Right Stuff, The Unbearable
>Lightness of Being, etal) and Atom Egoyan (Speaking Parts, Family Matters,
>Calendar, Exotica, etal)
>
>Jerry

Atom Egoyan is MUCH discussed in Canada where he is currently the darling
of the Toronto film scene (displacing David Cronenberg for the moment).
There is at least one expensive auteur book on him and many articles. The
script of Speaking Parts has been issued in book form with a pretty good
intro by Ron Burnett.

Gene Walz
University of Manitoba, Film Studies
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2M8 Canada