SCREEN-L Archives

August 2021, Week 5

From:
TWN Distribution <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 2021 11:20:56 -0400
Join Third World Newsreel for a Free Virtual Screening of TEACH OUR
CHILDREN, part of “Abolition Now! 50 Years of the Attica Prison Uprising”

[image: ATTICA+BANNER_MDC.jpg]

Series Link:
https://www.maysles.org/aboliton-now-50-years-of-the-attica-prison-uprising

Free Streaming from August 30 - September 20, 2021

https://prod5.agileticketing.net/websales/pages/ticketsearchcriteria.aspx?evtinfo=158225~83b6ee91-1480-4432-b9d5-cbe2d72938c7

In July of 1971, the Attica Liberation Faction (ALF), a group of organizers
incarcerated at the Attica Correctional Facility in Upstate New York,
presented 27 demands to the Commissioner of Corrections and Governor Nelson
Rockefeller. The ALF had been leading political education classes on Marx,
Lenin, de Bois, and Malcolm X, and their demands pushed largely for
improved access to health and medical care, cleaner facilities, greater
visitation privileges, and better labor protections for all Attica
prisoners. They issued their demands peacefully, and were met with neglect
and physical violence.

Drawing on films made from 1971 to the present day, Abolition Now! 50 Years
of the Attica Prison Uprising chronicles, commemorates and politicizes the
events of the 1971 uprising and massacre—tracing George Jackson’s
influence—through the nonfiction visual representations that came out of
it.

TEACH OUR CHILDREN (1971) focuses on the historic 1971 Attica prison
rebellion in upstate New York. It targets the conditions that caused
prisoners to take drastic steps toward securing their basic rights. The
film questions the reactions of prison warden Oswald, New York governor
Nelson Rockefeller, and President Nixon, as well as the death of 31 inmates
and prison guards from bullets fired by the National Guard. Through on-site
footage taken during and following the rebellion, and follow-up interviews
with inmates, this film relates a powerful message concerning prisoner's
rights and provides an important historical document.

Also Showing:

ATTICA (1972)

PRISON IN 12 LANDSCAPES (2016)

EVIDENCE OF THE EVIDENCE (2018)

Curated by Emily Apter. Co-presented with Third World Newsreel With special
thanks to JT Takagi, Nathaniel Moore, Andrea Battleground, Inney Prakash,
Annie Horner, NYC-DSA Emerge, The Freedom Archives, and Solidarity Cinema.
In Collaboration with Attica Is All of Us, The Freedom Archives, and the
Documentary Forum at CCNY. With support from Cinereach, Vital Projects
Fund, the Canada Council for the Arts, the Toronto Arts Council, the
Ontario Arts Council, and the National Film Board of Canada.

Sincerely,
Roselly Torres
Third World Newsreel
1 (917) 615-2244 (cellphone)
Pronouns: she/her/hers
Pronombre: ella

We are working remotely and we hope that everyone is staying safe. We are
responding to emails and voicemails and can handle educational and
exhibition orders and needs. Our media workshops and evening seminars
continue, but virtually.

https://listserv.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html