SCREEN-L Archives

November 2004, Week 4

From:
"Peter C. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 2004 13:07:02 EST

Updated Call For Papers. Extended deadline…
FILM  & HISTORY AREA
at  the SWPCA/ACA meeting Albuquerque, NM,  Feb. 9-12, 2005
_http://www.h-net.org/~swpca/_ (http://www.h-net.org/~swpca/)   (Proposal
deadline of 10 December,  2004!)

Film and History are related topics which show up on a  regular basis in
Film & History, a scholarly journal in publication  for 34 years.
Each year, Film & History gathers like-minded  scholars at various venues
to  discuss the inter-relationship between visual media and culture.
How do films interpret historical issues and  events?
How do films attempt to influence contemporary  perceptions?
How do films reflect the times in which they are  made?
These are basic, vital, and pertinent questions in our  media age.
This is a CFP for papers dealing with any of the three  questions above in
relation to a cluster of films, a specific genre, a key  director such as
John
Ford or Orson Welles, or issues such as race and  gender.  We will  be
meeting in Albuquerque, February 9-12,  2005.
Some idea of the spectrum of topics can be gained by  visiting the Film &
History web site:  _www.filmandhistory.org_ (http://www.filmandhistory.org/)
We  are just emerging from a conference on the topic of WAR IN FILM  and
papers enhanced and revisioned by that meeting are  certainly invited;
however, we would also like to hear from both senior scholars  and graduate students
about their work on other areas.  (Here, again, the web site will give a
sense of variety.)
The  deadline is rushing towards us, so please get back to the following Area
Chair  by December 10, 2004. Alas, time is in fast motion (ie, under  24fps).
Peter C. Rollins
Film & History Center
RR  3  Box 80
Cleveland, OK 74020-9515