SCREEN-L Archives

April 2013, Week 2

From:
Phil Scepanski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Apr 2013 17:26:10 -0500
Dear Screen people,

I am seeking to organize an SCMS special interest group devoted to comedy and humor studies. Please look over the message below and email me ([log in to unmask]) if interested.

While it seems that there are many people within SCMS and academia more generally working on moving image and audio comedy and humor, we have no formal group through which to organize, connect, and promote our work. I hope that organizing a comedy and humor studies SIG within SCMS would help:

    -consolidate the area's gains by guaranteeing a certain amount of representation within the conference schedule
    -add some legitimation to our work, and
    -encourage more intellectual cross-pollination by connecting scholars, drawing other scholars that may not be so close to this particular circle, and putting the comedy studies people working on different media(TV, film, digital media) in better conversation with one another

At this point, I'm simply gauging interest, so please let me know if you are interested as we need 25 members to petition SCMS to recognize us. Additionally, I would greatly appreciate if you could forward this email to anyone you think might be interested (particularly film, digital media, and sound studies people as my contacts largely exist in the world of TV studies).

Finally, if you have any interest in working with me and others on a mission statement and an initial set of bylaws, please let me know.

All my best,
Phil Scepanski
PhD Candidate
Screen Cultures Program
Department of Radio, Television, and Film
Northwestern University

https://listserv.ua.edu/archives/screen-l.html