SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 1

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 1995 08:06:23 CST
Edwin Jahiel wrote:
>When and how will we be able to post not simply our own messages and
>elucubrations, but *printed items" of (possible) interest to a few or to
>many peope or groups. Until then, the Net, amazing though it is,  will
>still be lame.

I believe that allowing people to post printed matter wily-nily on the
Net raises many more problems than it addresses (I assume Edwin
is concerned primarily about the problem of discussing an article,
book, encyclopedia or what-have-you that others may not have read).

Obviously (I hope!) there is the problem of copyright.

Then there is the matter of the pragmatics of reading large, or huge
volumes of text on a CRT, not kind to the eyes, and alternatively of
printing it out, probably a huge waste of paper and the printers oper-
ating life.

It seems adequate to me given present limitations to post the particulars
of the printed item so that those who are so motivated may seek it out
at a local library.

The failure to make anything one could possibly imagine, instantly
available does not mean that a given system is *lame*. Yes, the Net
is amazing. May we not be satisfied with that? I'm sure that at
some point, probably in the near future, the Net or the info hiway
will provide what you are asking... for a price (if L. Jarvik has any-
thing to say about it).

In the meantime, one could always provide a brief synopsis of key
points of an article that one wishes to refer to in a discussion, say
about FILM or TV.

David Smith