SCREEN-L Archives

May 1999, Week 2

From:
John Dougill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 13:31:27 +0900
"Significantly, perhaps, the James
Bond series (as well as the books) displaced Cold War fears from the
USSR to the supercriminal organization SPECTRE "

I'm interested in the implications of 'significantly' here.  Were not the
James Bond films simply displacing Cold War fears in the way of the fifties
films that displaced the fear onto aliens?  Or is there a significance that
I've missed here.......(I'm doing a bit about Bond films with my classes
later this term so have a special interest.)

Regards
John Dougill
Kyoto