SCREEN-L Archives

September 1995, Week 1

From:
Dandrade Kendall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 1995 01:27:00 EST
September 6, 1995

GAMBIT goes on for a fairly long time showing what seems to be the actual
robbery, but which we later realize is the narrator's _plan_ for the robbery.
Much of the humor of the film is the contrast between this stylistically neat
plan and the actual robbery, an event more like a Keystone comedy.

There's also a minor plot twist at the end which reveals that not one but many
copies of the stolen work had been made.  The narrator, and the story
generally, are unreliable because only the forger knows that he has produced
multiple copies.  So here the narrator is unreliable in the sense of being
wrong about the facts, but reliable in the sense of telling us what he
actually thinks.  I would imagine that many films of self-discovery have
unreliable narrators in this second sense.  Probably lots of others do too.

Kendall D'Andrade       [log in to unmask]