SCREEN-L Archives

August 2000, Week 4

From:
Matt McAllister <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:34:16 -0500
Hi everyone,

My guess is that this program was "CBS Summer Playhouse," aired during the
summers of 1987-1989 (although Reid and Maxwell Reid only hosted the 1987
season).  For more info about the show (although no mention of the specific
pilots aired), check out Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh, The Complete Directory
to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows.

Hope this helps!  Matt

>Does anyone remember a show on CBS that showed a different unsold pilot
>every week?  I don't think it's listed in Alex McNeil's _Total
>Television_.  It was hosted by Tim Reid and Daphne Maxwell-Reid.  Their
>show, _Frank's Place_, had its pilot run, as did one show to have a
>brief run, _Peaceable Kingdom_.  The two other pilots I remember most
>vividly were one for _Puppetman_, that was centered around a puppeteer,
>and the pilot had a relative in the hospital, and he was called down
>suddenly with a full-body purple dragon costume, and the tail kept
>getting caught in the automatic door.  The other I remember had animated
>transitions and one of the actors was Luis Avalos.  It dealt with a
>relatively surreal apartment building that had odd connections.

Matt McAllister  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Department of Communication Studies, Virginia Tech
Blacksburg, VA  24061-0311 USA  ph: 540-231-9830  fax: 540-231-9817