SCREEN-L Archives

September 2001, Week 5

From:
Ted Friedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2001 18:30:49 -0400
Rotten Tomatoes at http://www.rottentomatoes.com collects links to
reviews of every new release. They're pretty thorough, covering lots of
major magazines and newspapers, as well as some web-only reviewers.

There's also the Movie Review Query Engine, http://www.mrqe.com.

The Internet Movie Database, http://www.imdb.com, is the best overall
online resource for film information, but for some reason their review
links have always been a little scattershot. On the other hand, they
have the most active collection of user comments. Second for that would
be Amazon.com.

It's a shame more academic film journals aren't available online (or are
only available through databases which require library subscriptions).
If they were free available, I'm sure the above sites would link to
relevant articles, and web surfers would easily be able to read academic
work alongside newspaper and magazine criticism.

[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>
> I used to be able to find a good collection of newspaper and magazine
> reviews for specific films at www.cinemachine.com.   That site appears to
> have gone out of business.  Does anyone know of a good site or sites where
> multiple reviews of recent films (preferably by paid reviewers rather than
> by volunteers) can be found?
>
> Many thanks,
>
>      Krin Gabbard
>
> ----
> To sign off Screen-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF Screen-L
> in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

-- Ted Friedman
Assistant Professor
Department of Communication
Georgia State University