SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 1

Sender:
From:
"D. Allen Simpson, Made In Alaska" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 1995 10:40:51 CDT
        Actually, I tend to swing between serious discussions of film
and television, since I love watching and discussing both, and since
I've had to study both as a film and television major (just
finished my BA, now I have more paper for my wall...).
        I do not consider TV a complete wasteland, and think some
discussion of the pervasive effects of TV a good issue, as well as the
issues that are brought forth in TV programs (not all programs, but
a select few, as Jajasoon noted in a recent posting).
        The study of TV and the study of film come down to the same
thing, a study of communications (that may be simplistic, I know, and
expect some contradictory statements to that, which is why this
list exists).  I think that the same things that can excite someone
in a film also exists in TV, at least in some degree, and that the
same arguments for or against a specific topic (sex, violence,
morality, etc.) can be discussed from a TV or from a film background.
        As always, there are no "easy" answers to any of our
concerns, but I for one welcome discussion that encompasses all
aspects of visual communication.
        Doug Simpson