SCREEN-L Archives

March 2011, Week 2

From:
Richard Butsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:24:01 -0500
please post:

*Discourses about Audiences: International Comparisons*,

**

*Call for Proposals*, from Richard Butsch and Sonia Livingstone

*Deadline:May 1, 2011*

_Please forward and post_ on listservs, especially those likely to reach
scholars of non-Western media cultures

We seek proposals from media scholars to study the representations of
audiences in non-western societies and pre-modern Europe. We use
"western" to indicate culture rather than geography. In that sense, the
term contrasts to all societies not based upon Western traditions,
including not only "eastern" societies but also societies south of the
equator.

We plan to publish the studies in special issues of journals and as an
edited book, in multiple languages. We also plan to organize an
international conference where the authors will present and discuss
their work.

In our books, /The Citizen Audience/ and /Audiences and Publics/, we
have explored representations of audiences and the categories used to
characterize them. These explorations have been within the context of
modern democracies in Western Europe and North America. In Western
discourse, audiences have been variously considered crowds, publics,
mass and consumers, active or passive, additive or selective, vulnerable
and suggestible or critical and creative, educated or ignorant, high or
low brow, and characterized differently on the basis of their presumed
race, class, sex and age.

These debates and these categories sometimes have been adopted and
applied to audiences in non-Western cultures. The conjoined terms
"audiences and publics," for example, have begun to be used by scholars
across the globe. But there is no reason to assume that such Western
categories and associations apply, or apply in the same way, in
non-western societies. At a time when global and regional media
(satellite, television/radio, recording, mobile phone, internet)
saturate even remote populations and cultures, we have no comparative
empirical studies to reveal what categories are indigenous to individual
non-western cultures, and to recordhow they differ and change.

Consequently our goal is to bring together research from across the
globe, toinvestigate whether the terms associated with audiences in
western Europe and North America actually fit the indigenous discourses
on audiences in non-Western cultures. Each culture likely has a
different and interesting history. We think that such a comparative
study of discourse on media and audiences could bring new insights into
global media as well as Western discourse and scholarship on media and
audiences, and be of immense value to government policymakers and media
practitioners as well.Moreover, it will be an opportunity for
non-Western worlds to speak about themselves, unfiltered through Western
concepts.

The project will explore specifically non-Western languages and
cultures, and as a whole, will compare their discourses on audiences. In
this globalized world this will sometimes be a marginal distinction,
given the bleeding of Western ideas through borders and cultural
boundaries. We would like applicants to go beyond non-Western
incorporations of Western terms about audiences that accompanied their
adoption of media technology and texts, to explore their discourses on
indigenous practices and their audiences. With this foundation, then
applicants would investigate how indigenous discourses represent media
audiences as these media spread through these societies.

 From all applicants, we will select 10-15 scholars to research
discourses in their proposed culture and language, looking at these both
before and since their contact with Western culture and the spread of
twentieth and twenty-first century media. We expect to include:

1. Studies on discourses in major languages of the world, e.g. Chinese,
Hindi, Bengali, Arabic, Urdu, etc.,

2. Studies on cultures and languages less integrated into globalization
and more remote from Western influence, and

3. A study of a major medieval European culture and language before
democracy and publics became associated with audiences.

Applicants should be fluent in the language and generally familiar with
the media/audience history of the culture they propose to study. For
their research, we wish contributors to study representations in that
culture and language, examining its historical development, in whole or
part, of discourses as media are introduced into that culture through
the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, with special consideration to
the lexicon used to characterize media audiences. Junior as well as
senior scholars are welcome, as long as each demonstrates his/her
capabilities for this research.

Proposals should be in English and include a preliminary research plan
of no more than 3 single-spaced pages, specifying the
cultural/linguistic context and describing the plan of research. as well
as current vitae of the applicant(s). Send proposals as email
attachments to both [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]> and
[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>, no later than
*May 1, 2011*.

We look forward to reading your proposals.

Richard Butsch, Professor of Sociology, American Studies, and Film and
Media Studies

Rider University, USA

Sonia Livingstone, Professor of Social Psychology

Department of Media and Communications,

London School of Economics,UK