SCREEN-L Archives

July 2011, Week 3

Date:
Thu, 14 Jul 2011 11:00:54 -0700
Sender:
From:
USC account <[log in to unmask]>
Hello,

My colleague and I are looking for two or three papers to round out a panel
on the modern visual culture of East Asia.  Our panel focuses on the
twentieth century and we are interested in exploring how power and politics
are reflected in wide variety of visual media and cultural contexts.

Please take a look at our short CFP below.  If you are interested in
participating, please send a 250 word abstract to [log in to unmask] by July
25th.  You will be notified either way within a couple of days.

Thanks very much for your time!

The politics of power and representation throughout modern East Asia are
made visible through the various media technologies that debuted in the late
19th century.  Popular, and increasingly prolific during the 20th century,
photography and film served as early technologies for recording and
establishing several forms of power relationships.  These include
expressions of racial, class, gender, and economic inequalities that were
given yet more impact through the mediums’ assumed objectivity and ability
to record “truth.”  As technology expanded to include television and more,
visual media’s presumed neutrality continued to be problematized.
Individuals pursued a vision of their own relational identity with the
acknowledgement that their gaze was inherently connected to power and
surveillance as well as inseparable from a social anxiety that permeated
their existence in 20th century East Asia.

While objects of the individual or social gaze can be understood on their
own, we must also consider the many lenses through which they are
perceived.  These may include the object itself, the media apparatus, the
mode of display, the ultimate consumer audience, and the social structures
and ideologies that form and inform the work as well as the artist.  This
panel proposes to expose and examine the role images play in the formation
of power within the context of modern East Asia.  It is important to
remember as well that images travel, both from media format to media format
as well as across national and cultural borders.

Possible questions: to what extent does visual media reinforce or challenge
existing beliefs and assumptions, where can the distinction between
resistance and compliance be found, what are the existing hierarchies of
race, gender, class, etc. in modern East Asian contexts and how do visual
media expose these or change them?

Papers might address, but are not limited to the following:
photography
cinema
animation
television (including network and cable)
internet
comics and print media

Best regards,
Annie Manion

----
Phd Candidate
University of Southern California, Los Angeles
School of Cinematic Arts