SCREEN-L Archives

September 2004, Week 4

Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:47:00 EDT
In a message dated 9/21/04 11:30:25 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

> After some initial experiences with shallow or just plain silly
> commentaries on DVD "Special Editions," I wonder whether anyone has
> positive recommendations regarding DVD releases that have additional
> materials which in some way illuminate the film, the process of film
> making, or the art of cinema. Recommendations, please?

Many of them from Criterion who intends to produce something for the
educational market -- including "Trouble in Paradise" and "I Know Where I'm Going"
among dozens of others. Our best are "Chac," "Phantom of the Opera," "The Blot,"
"I'm Going Home," "The Edge of the World," "Tabu," the Peggy Parson's track on
our "Mystery of Picasso," "Grass" and "Chang." Most of the studio
commentaries are for the fan and not the scholar, but that's a generalization that must
have exceptions.

The absolute worst is Charlie's Angels Full Throttle (I'm a judge, I got to
watch some of the crap as well) which could be used as a text book of exactly
what ISN'T a good commentary.

Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128