SCREEN-L Archives

May 1994

Date:
Thu, 26 May 1994 01:38:00 PDT
Another question:

Back in the 1940s, there was a consent decree that in effect dismantled the
vertical integration of the film industry.  If I understood it correctly, no
company could do all 3:  production, distribution, and exhibition.

Is this decree still in effect?  I assumed so--till I started noticing things
like Disney owning theaters (e.g., The El Capitan in Hollywood).  If it is
still in effect, how can these apparent exceptions be explained?

Also, it would seem that the increasing conglomeration of media industries
would make this separation,on the one hand,more difficult to sustain--but on
the other, more important than ever *to* sustain.

What say you?

Thanks.