SCREEN-L Archives

December 2004, Week 3

From:
"Peter C. Rollins" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:35:27 EST

The Ray and Pat Browne book award winner for last year was _Hollywood's
White House: The American Presidency in Film and Television_, Eds. Peter C.
Rollins and John E. O'Connor (UP of Kentucky, 2004; ISBN Paper  0-8131-9126-2).
This collection of essays, surveying the presidency in film from  Washington
to Bill Clinton, was the offspring of the Film & History  conference on the
topic held in Y2000.  The volume concludes with an elaborate and useful
filmography by John  Shelton Lawrence, a popular culture stalwart.
Details are at the following web address:
_http://www.kentuckypress.com/viewbook.cfm?Category_ID=1&Group=42&ID=1023_
(http://www.kentuckypress.com/viewbook.cfm?Category_ID=1&Group=42&ID=1023)
I used the hardback copy for a class during the fall of 2004 and students
really seemed to use the book because they understood the language and
appreciated the film and history approach—devoid of jargon.
By the way, this is not an ad.  Nobody makes money from these efforts; on the
other hand, we get to share  our research with  colleagues  and,
more importantly, with future  citizens in classrooms across the land.  After
2004, we know that media  perceptions of the president are central to any
general election choices to be  made; students deserve some exposure to the media
issues.
Peter Rollins
Film & History  _www.filmandhistory.org_ (http://www.filmandhistory.org/)