SCREEN-L Archives

October 1996, Week 1

Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 22:27:00 EDT
HI there --

Well, I have *not* seen the film, but please, as a soon-to-be adoptive
parent of a near two-yaer-old little girl from China, *please* consider NOT
showing the film!

That was only *one* orphanage, and really - the least the Chinese did was
release a rebuttal, in January of this year, that was translated by the
State Dept. and printed in one of the daily State Dept., Bulletins about
China.

What also happened and what could literally STOP adoption in China by US and
British citizens again, is that CHina stopped assigned kids to people like
my husband and I, who are a childless and infertile couple who really need
and want a child!

So, seriously -- please consider what you are doing -- this is *not* a good
thing and believe me -- it WILL get back, somehow, to CHina, that people are
actually using this film in the classroom, and the repercussions will be
great, I know.  We are *still* trying to get to China after having been
assigned a child since May!  This didn't used to be the case, and people
usually went to China after getting a "referral" of a specific child (with
photo and health info., etc.) within a few weeks.  Now it's months, and even
close to a year, and that film is part of the reason.

The kids lose most, don't you think?

Please let me know if you want more info. about all this.  Sorry to hit you
with heavy stuff, but it's pretty serious stuff, after all!

Donna Harrington Kenny