SCREEN-L Archives

March 1998, Week 4

From:
gloria monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 12:18:04 -0400
>in my quest for the perfect teaching musical, I've become obsessed with
>BLACK AND TAN FANTASY, starring Duke Ellington and his Cotton Club
>Orchestra. It's got this sort of amazing intersection of influences--part
>Busby Berkeley, part German Expressionism....

 But I'm wondering if anyone on the list knows anything
>about the intended audience of these Paramount shorts? Were they developed
>for white audiences interested in jazz culture? For black audiences? Were
>they "preview" films or main events? Were they considered avante-garde
>experiments or mainstream narrative films?
>
>Anyone?

        See Krin Gabbard's *Jammin' at the Margins* (1996): 160-68, 172,
175, 183, 203.

        Gloria Monti, so happy you are not teaching *Singin' in the Rain....*

gloria monti
film studies program, yale university
53 wall st., new haven, CT 06510
voice mail: 203-432-0152