SCREEN-L Archives

November 1997, Week 4

From:
Pam Robertson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 09:59:06 -0600
Dear Screen-L subscribers,

I am running the Educational Outreach Program for Cinema/Chicago, the parent
organization of the Chicago International Film Festival.  Until now, our
Outreach has largely consisted of bringing high school kids in to Festival
Theaters for screenings of films and discussions with film directors.  This
works well, but it only occurs during the ten days of the Festival.  My job
is to make Outreach a year-round mandate and to open it up to alternate
audiences.  I am planning to do more with high schools, providing access to
international films, teaching kids how to read and interpret films (media
literacy), and offering films that relate to their experience. I am also
planning to offer a series of workshops for high school teachers on "How to
Teach Film" and "Using Film in the Classroom".  In addition, I am starting a
program for seniors and one for hearing-impaired adults, showing subtitled
films and providing sign-language interpreters for discussions and all other
speaking.

I am interested in hearing from any of you about ideas you have or things
you've tried in community-based outreach programs using films.  I'd like to
know, for instance, if you think it is best for an organization to recah
more people or to have a more focussed relationship with a smaller crowd (in
other words, should we offer special events for lots of high schools or
adopt a few or focus on a single community center or juvenile program?)
What do you think works best with seniors?  Films combined with lectures and
discussion?  afternoon films? films from the country of origin of
ethnic/immigrant seniors?  films about seniors?

I'd love to hear your ideas.  Please contact me directly and I'll sum up the
best ideas for the list.

Thanks,

Pam Robertson