SCREEN-L Archives

October 1999, Week 4

From:
Peter Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 28 Oct 1999 14:00:23 -0400
Ron: Many films about the second world war deal with resistance (often
called the underground) to the Nazis. For instance, Andrzej Wajda's KANAL
(1957) deals with the Polish resistance in Warsaw (literally underground,
in this case!). Jean Renoir's THIS LAND IS MINE (1943) deals with the
French resistance. There are many more in this genre. How about fighting
evil/horror/religious type movies such as The OMEN or THE EXORCIST?
"Resistance" covers such a wide field - including cowboy and indian movies!

----------
> From: Large, Ron <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Films on Resistance
> Date: Thursday, October 28, 1999 12:17 PM
>
> A colleague and I teach a summer course called Religion and Human
> Experience. We want to try to build the course around a theme and use
films
> as part of the course. We have done this in the past and it works well.
This
> coming summer we thought of using the theme of Resistance and the Problem
of
> Evil, and I would like to use the expertise of the list members to ask
for
> suggestions on this theme. We only have time to show 4-5 films in
> conjunction with readings. For example, the class might read Martin
Luther