SCREEN-L Archives

March 2002, Week 3

From:
David Skreiner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 11:19:36 +0100
Andrejevic, Mark wrote:
> I'd be tempted to make a distinction between those films which are
> incomprehensible intentionally, and those that are incomprehensible in
part
> as a result of a production process that doesn't focuse on coherence, but
> rather on a series of gimmicks strung together.

For the first category, I'd like to propose some "drug movie" examples -
where the characters are so "strung out" that most viewers have
difficulty following them. "Naked Lunch" (based on a William Burroughs
novel) might fit here; probably also "Jesus' Son" and "Fear and
Loathing in Las Vegas".

Both of the Cheech and Chong movies I've seen would be examples
of the latter category, since they consist of little but a series of
sketches. The same goes for less drug-oriented films such as "Kentucky
Fried Movie" and Amazon Women On The Moon".

Another example: Robert Altman's MASH. According to interviews, the
actors tried to get the director fired because he had them improvise almost
all the time, with no indication that anything like a plot was being
planned.
The narrative device (a PA system) that more or less holds the film
together was apparently decided on while cutting the film.

Dave Skreiner
DVD-Home Magazine