SCREEN-L Archives

July 2004, Week 2

From:
Mark Nornes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 15:05:24 +0900
I am writing a little on Tora Tora Tora, using it as an example for
some of the translation problems faced by international co-productions.

Going through the files of the producer, Elmo Williams, I've been
surprised at how ad hoc their approach to translation issues was. This
got me thinking. Did Hollywood have much experience with co-productions
before this, and particularly at this scale?  There were all the talkie
era MLVs, but what about international co-productions.  I'm not sure. I
suppose Welles and Eisenstein in Latin America come to mind. Who else?

Markus