SCREEN-L Archives

February 2000, Week 3

From:
Lang Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 23:09:56 -0500
>        Someone suggested that I put a feeler out on ebay.com, so you
>might try that, in case someone has a personal copy they are willing
>to sell. However, exhibiting a second-hand copy like that might cause
>legal problems.

The tapes on eBay were going for something like $80 at one point but that
market is so volatile and chancy that you might get it for much less at
other times.  Whether it's second-hand or not won't affect any legalities
concerning the showing, at least for a general release like this (some
tapes come with licensing restrictions).  The First Sale Doctrine allows
for resale of legally created works with no further payment to the
copyright owners (ie you don't have to pay royalties on sales of used
books/records/etc) but the underlying copyright status hasn't changed.

LT
Full Alert Film Review
http://wlt4.home.mindspring.com/fafr.htm

Funhouse