SCREEN-L Archives

October 2013, Week 4

From:
Carol Vernallis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 2013 16:39:35 -0700
With apologies for repeated and cross posting, I'd like to announce the
publication of my book, *Unruly Media: YouTube, Music Video, and the New
Digital Cinema *(Oxford University Press). Beyonce's on the cover, and
Amazon has priced it at $21. Oxford is offering exam copies. Here is a
description –

Unruly Media argues we're on the crest of a new international style in
which sonic and visual parameters become heightened and accelerated.
Post-classical cinema, with its multi-plot narratives and flashy style,
fragments under the influence of audiovisual numbers and music-video-like
sync. Music video becomes more than a way of selling songs. YouTube's
brief, low-res clips encompass many forms and foreground reiteration,
graphic values and affective intensity. These three media are riven by one
another: a trajectory from YouTube through music video to the new digital
cinema reveals commonalities, especially in the realms of rhythm, texture
and form.

This is the first book to account for the current audiovisual landscape
across medium and platform. Unruly Media includes new theoretical models,
readings of current multimedia works, and analyses of the oeuvres of
popular directors. It demonstrates that attending equally to soundtrack and
image reveals how these media work and how they both mirror and shape our
experience.

http://www.amazon.com/Unruly-Media-YouTube-Digital-Cinema/dp/0199767009/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382571527&sr=8-1&keywords=vernallis

http://global.oup.com/academic/product/unruly-media-9780199767007?cc=us&lang=en&

*Carol Vernallis* is the author of *Experiencing Music Video: Aesthetics
and Cultural Context* and co-editor of *The Oxford Handbook of New
Audiovisual Aesthetics* and *The Oxford Handbook of Sound and Image in
Digital Media*. She teaches film and media at Stanford University.

* *

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org