SCREEN-L Archives

March 2000, Week 1

Sender:
From:
Peter Warren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 19:33:05 -0500
Gregory: For starters, I suggest you find yourself a book on cinema verite.
Simply put, CV involves long, unedited shots, some improvisation among the
actors,  and a type of pseudo-documentary approach. Try to find the films
of John Cassavetes (e.g: FACES, 1968: Husbands, 1970). Also Italian
neo-realist cinema of the forties, such as ROME, OPEN CITY and THE BICYCLE
THIEF, is a type of cinema verite, often with non-professional actors. The
TV shows such as Jerry Springer tend to use long camera shots, amateur
performers who have no doubt been rehearsed, but likely with some
improvisation to hold the attention of the viewers. Incidentally, aren't
university students expected to be able to spell any more? Though these may
be typos, see infomation (information), greatfully (gratefully), and
recieved (received) in your email.
Peter Warren----------.