SCREEN-L Archives

January 1996, Week 5

From:
JOE KRUPNIK <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 11:52:38 -0500
        In the BFI Film Classics series, Peter Wollen writes, "It remains an
endearing irony that, in reality, if I can so use the phrase, Debbie
Reynolds's singing voice in the film was in fact dubbed by Jean Hagen [who, of
course, played the strident-voiced Lina Lamont]."  Wollen also quotes an
autobiography by Debbie Reynolds on this same issue.
        Do any readers of this list have information on this remarkable
revelation?
        Was public knowledge of Hagen's dubbing of Reynold's voice suprressed by the
 sudio as it was building up
Reynolds's star image?
        Did Hagen dub Reynolds's voice in all the musical numbers in the
film or just in those scenes in which the film shows/portrays the dubbing
process?
        Is the Reynolds's biography the primary source for this revelation or
are there other documented sources?  When did this information become available
to film scholars?
        Other than the Wollen piece, are there any other scholarly
articles/studies which discuss this situation?
        _Singin'_ has long been one of my favorite film, but this revelation,
if true, has forced me to realign my reading of the film.  While I don't want to
get into issues of intentionality, I do wonder to what degree Kelly and Donen
were "aware" of the ramifications of their use of Hagen's voice. To my way off
thinking, this situation gives _Singin"_ a self-referential dimension (a rather
arch one at that) that should have attracted deconstructionist readers.
        Sorry for the length of this posting, but I would appreciate any info
the list member can offer.  Thanks