SCREEN-L Archives

October 2005, Week 1

From:
"Delwiche, Aaron" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2005 13:50:09 -0500
Hi,

During this morning's lecture on cinematography, I showed the opening of
SNAKE EYES (Brian De Palma, 1998) as an illustration of an extremely
long tracking shot. It seemed to me that the opening shot is sustained,
without cuts, until the assassination scene. However, one of my students
insisted that he noticed some subtle cuts.

I've been watching the clip closely, and was wondering if anyone else
has looked into this topic. Exactly how long is the opening shot?

Thanks,
Aaron

Aaron Delwiche, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor