SCREEN-L Archives

February 2003, Week 3

From:
Tim Shary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 2003 11:01:31 -0500
    I'm not sure about Canada, but I know that in the U.S. this kind of
practice is clearly forbidden.  The law specifically states-- and this is on
the warning of every VHS tape and DVD-- that the films are for use "in
homes" and not for public exhibition.  I think that schools are bending this
law when they screen tapes and discs for classes, but as long as they don't
charge for the actual screening, I suppose it's technically fair use.  (Then
again, they are charging for the courses, and using copyrighted materials in
a for-profit forum, so perhaps this isn't such fair use after all.)

    I can tell you this: in the early '90s a nursing home here in
Massachusetts was busted for showing VHS movies in the lounge of their
clinic.  I seem to recall the argument revolving around the fact that the
"home" was more akin to an apartment building, and not technically a private
residence in itself, and therefore showing tapes to a crowd was thus
"public" exhibition.  I can't remember if the nursing home was fined-- and
I'd love to know what bureaucrat was mean enough to rat on a nursing home--
but I do recall the case getting some attention as a warning against
non-home VHS use.

Dr. Timothy Shary
Assistant Professor of Screen Studies
Traina Center for the Arts