SCREEN-L Archives

May 1998, Week 5

From:
Scott Hutchins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 16:20:45 -0500
Part of this has to do with credits going at the end, unless you're going
to be weird like Peter Greenaway with _Prospero's Books_.  Before all
credits were at the beginning, but they only credited the head of each
department.  now they credit everyone at the end.  In those days, the
production designer was considered a subordinate to the art director, and
was not credited.

Scott

On Mon, 25 May 1998, Edward R. O'Neill wrote:

> This is probably a stupid question, but a student asked me
> recently, and I realized I didn't know the answer.
>         A student very astutely observed that the films we watched
> in class (mostly from the 1930's and 1940's) have extensive
> credits at the outset with credits for things like costumes
> and make-up, whereas credits nowadays are more abbreviated
> and seem to end with the director's credit.
>         When did credits change and why?  Is this something to do
> with unions?
>
> Yours in blessed ignorance,
> Edward R. O'Neill
>
> ----
> Online resources for film/TV studies may be found at ScreenSite
> http://www.tcf.ua.edu/screensite

University of Alabama.