SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Bjorn Aas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 17:24:05 CST

(Moderator's note:  Please send lists of films *directly* to Bjorn and *not*
to SCREEN-L.  He has agreed to accept suggestions and compile a master list.
If, however, you'd like to debate the value (or lack thereof) of
establishing a canon of films, feel free to send those comments to
SCREEN-L.)

Which 100 films must a TV/film school have in their library?

After too much of impulse shopping and I-could-use-that-in-my-next-lecture
picking of film-titles, I challenge Screen-L users to help make a list for
the 100 most necessary films when teaching a basic film history and TV/film
production course.

Titles must include the obvious classics, the genre highlights, the
boxoffice hits, the filmbuffs delights and the scholars chosen.

I know of many "The 100 &%#@! films made"-lists, but this should satisfy a
diversity of film-teachers and students. And, in light of a recent
discussion here om Screen-L, also include titles from countries with less
known, but still interesting film-production.

The films ought to be available on video or laserdisc, as not every teaching
institution have adequate film-projector systems. Laserdisc also bridges the
gap of different TV-systems easily and affordable.

If we ever agree on a list like this, maybe it could be an attraction on
ScreenSite?

Bjorn Aas, TV-lecturer
Danvik Folkehogskole, N-3046 Drammen, Norway
Tel: ..47 3283 1290  Fax: ..47 3289 1245 E-mail [log in to unmask]