SCREEN-L Archives

July 1994

From:
Shawn Levy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 1994 09:21:43 -0700
> >A colleague has been trying to find the name of a film that he says he saw
> >about 20-30 years ago on tv.  He claims it starred Bing Crosby and Rock
> >Hudson, and in it Crosby plays a small-town doctor who's been practicing
> >euthenasia for some time.  Hudson finds out and threatens to expose him, but
> >then discovers the need for a "mercy
> >" killing himself.
> I vaguely remember an "ABC TV Movie of the Week" in the late 1960s or early
> 1970s called "Dr Cook's Garden" (I think this was it), with Bing Crosby
> (although I don't remember Rock Hudson in it, but he might have been).
> Sorry I don't remember any more.

Crosby indeed starred in the ABC film (which aired 1/19/71).  It was
based on a Broadway play of 4 years earlier with Burl Ives in the lead
(and written by Ira Levin).  Rock Hudson wasn't on the scene (but Blythe
Danner, Frank Converse, Barnard Hughes were).  Acc. to Alvin H. Marrill's
"Movies Made for Television", it wasn't about euthanasia but "a
small-town doctor who sees to it that the bad people in his community die
before their time and and good live longer -- like the flowers in his
garden."  It was Crosby's only TV movie andd was directed by Ted Post.

    Shawn Levy       |  "Bats have no bankers and they do not drink
                     |   and cannot be arrested and pay no tax
 [log in to unmask] |   and, in general, bats have it made."