SCREEN-L Archives

January 1994

Sender:
From:
Chris White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 1994 08:28:17 PST
> > I've seen parts of this movie, can't sit all the way through it.
 Every time
> > I see it, it reminds me of a terrible part of our countries
past.  Not only
> > is it a bad portrayl of African Americans, I don't particularly
like the
> > scenes with Jessica Tandy.  Especially at the place of worship,
I think it
> > was a synagogue.  She has this problem with her car being up
front, putting
> > on airs I think she calls it.  The stereotypical jewish
grandmother, as I've
> > seen it growing up Jewish, is someone who backstabs and worries
about how
> > they look to others instead of doing what they want.  That and
the food
> > thing.  I have a jewish grandmother and her only fault is being
a racist.  I
> > don't think, even if it won oscars, that Driving Miss Diasy is a
redemmable
> > movie for the messages it is sending, aside from the theme of
the movie.

Although I don't know who posted the above message, after much
thought, I do see his or her logic.  Why do we make movies about
horrible incidents and/or behaviors of the past?  The last thing we
want is to remind people of how absurd such thinking is, and how
harmful such actions are.  Seeing the impact of such behavior on
human life might even make certain people re-think their current
behavior, and we certainly can't have any of that.

While we're at it, let's rule out _Schindler's List_, because it
does show those Nazis in a bad light, and is not an easy film to
watch.  You know, it makes you squirm and all that.  And let's
retire Oliver Stone, since he *always* makes movies that bring up
that ol' Vietnam War, and we sure don't want people remembering what
a horrific event that was.

_The Bodyguard_ & _Ghost_ -- Now *those* are movies!  Didn't offend
anyone (other than people with good taste in movies, perhaps).

Chris W., who's trying not to remember the past, for fear of
actually learning a lesson.