SCREEN-L Archives

January 2005, Week 2

From:
Robert Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 18:34:50 EST
The film in question sounds like "Adam at 6.A.M.", but it dates from around
1970. It was one of Michael Douglas' first films and I loved it at the time (I
was about 13) though it's probably pretentious as hell. Douglas plays Adam, a
young professor who gives up on the phoniness of urban life and moves to a
small town where he is impressed by having to actually do "real" work, etc... He
meets a girl, gets engaged and is at an engagement party when he realises that
the small town folk - especially the girl - are just as greedy and
materialistic as what he left behind. The girl tells him they've run out of ice cream
and asks him to go pick some up. Which leads to the shot you described...in
which he tosses the i ce cream out of his car and scrams back to the city...
The film, which was one of the many Hollywood attempts to cash in on the
"youth market" in the wake of "The Graduate" and "Easy Rider", is almost forgotten
and was not well received at the time..I remember one college review scolding
the film by pointing out that Douglas was supposed to be a hip young rebel
but in one early scene is listening to the decidedly un-hip Paul Revere and the
Raiders.....
Robert Hunt