SCREEN-L Archives

July 2006, Week 2

Date:
Sun, 9 Jul 2006 12:30:36 -0500
Greetings,

We just wanted to let you know that the new issue of Flow: A Critical Forum on
Television and Media Culture is out. This issue features columns by Mark
Andrejevic, John McMurria, Amanda Lotz, Laurie Oulette, Nichola Dobson, John
Corner, and Kathleen Battles and Wendy Hilton-Morrow.

Please visit the journal at http://www.flowtv.org to read these columns and
contribute responses to them.

This issue's columns in brief:

"Total Information Awareness - The Media Version" by Mark Andrejevic:
Commercial broadcasting has, from its inception, been about monitoring viewers;
this is why the history of the ratings industry has become entwined with that of
military and police surveillance.

"Strategic Liberalism and Media Reform" by John McMurria:
Are we in for more of the same deregulatory policies and neoliberal principles
that informed the 1996 Telecommunications Act?

"Lost Generation" by Amanda Lotz:
How today's network television depicts (or fails to depict) the changing
lives of Generation X.

"Honey, We're Killing the Kids" by Laurie Oulette:
How does the revitalization of social work through television politicize
personal choice and parental responsibility? And, what do the televisual
excesses represented on Honey We're Killing the Kids reveal about the politics
of desire?

"Darkness and Light: the changing mood of the CSI franchise" by Nichola Dobson:
A closer look at changes in the stylistic conventions of the CSI franchise due
to audience reaction.

"The Dynamics of Political Re-Branding" by John Corner:
The impact of commercial marketing techniques in the political landscape.

"Family, Fate and the Final of Will and Grace" by Kathleen Battles and
Wendy-Hilton Morrow:
On the limitations and possibilities of imagining families in a
non-heteronormative way in the finale of Will & Grace.

We look forward to your visit and encourage your comments.

Best wishes,

Flow Editorial Staff