SCREEN-L Archives

April 2020, Week 3

Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 2020 11:57:27 -0400
Dear Friends,

SPANISH FILM CLUB announces grant deadline extension to April 23rd!
The program offers grants to bring a slate of impressive recent
films to universities across North America and abroad. Help your
school regain its sense of community and campus life that make
college years so special with an unforgettable Ibero-American Film
Festival!
Many of you have sent us questions about what would happen if
campus activities do not resume in September. Please take a look at
these FAQs (https://pragda.com/spanish-film-club/spanish-film-club-and-covid-19-faqs/
[1]) to see how we are preparing for that eventuality, which
includes the possibility of moving your festival online.

Apply for a SPANISH FILM CLUB GRANT online by April 23,
2020 at https://pragda.com/spanish-film-club/application/ [2]. We
understand if personal circumstances prevent you from applying on
time. Send us a note to make accommodations.

HOW IT WORKS
• Grants cover up to 50% of the festival costs
• Universities screen 5 films or more in 8 weeks
• Two grant deadlines: April 17 and October 15, 2020
• More than 90 Award-winning titles from 25+ countries
• Virtual Q&As with filmmakers
• Study Guides available
• 220+ universities participating so far!

2020 NEW FILM LINE-UP (For all 90 titles
check: https://pragda.com/spanish-film-club/ [3])

Universities can choose from this year’s fantastic film line-up
that includes award-winning titles like the official selections to
the Academy Awards from Colombia, Alejandro Landes’ critically
acclaimed MONOS, and Costa Rica’s THE AWAKENING OF THE
ANTS; Pablo Larrain’s new film, EMA, starring Gael García
Bernal and Variety’s 10 Latinxs To Watch 2020’s Mariana Di
Girolamo; the electrifying comedy PERFECT STRANGERS, directed
by Netflix’s The House of Flowers Manolo Caro; the powerfully
inventive docu-thriller about immigration detention centers, THE
INFILTRATORS; an exploration of the racism inflicted on indigenous
people in Mexico and the empowerment of a new generation that
refuses to accept it silently, GUIE’DANIi’s NAVEL; a Chilean
film about the arcane racism affecting its
immigrant population, PERRO BOMBA; an emotional cross-cultural
musical journey from NYC to Puerto Rico, MIGUELITO: A SONG TO PUERTO
RICO; a revision of the Falklands War from the point of view of a
young man waiting to be drafted, NEITHER HERO NOR TRAITOR; and
the unusual polyamorous story of love and freedom, THE CITY OF THE
FUTURE.

WHAT UNIVERSITIES SAY
• “A great way to get colleagues and students involved and
talking about Spanish and Latin American culture, history, and
politics.” - Brown University
• “One of the favorite events at UNC Charlotte. Students
become critical thinkers and learn to appreciate freedom of
inquiry.” - UNC at Charlotte
• “It’s my 3rd time and I'll do it again, unique films that
are meaningful to our students.” - University of
Michigan-Dearborn
• "A touching and inspiring experience that moved our audience
into tears or laughter, gathered different people together, and
generated a sense of happiness and community." - University of
Tennessee, Knoxville
• “A very valuable and thought-provoking experience for our
students and community!” - Clayton State University

ABOUT PRAGDA
PRAGDA is a cultural initiative that specializes in offering
Latin American and Spanish films of educational interest for
students, instructors, and librarians. To learn more,
visit www.pragda.com [4]. Read more about SFC and check out the
complete line-up at https://pragda.com/spanish-film-club [5].

Best,
Daniela

—
Daniela Bajar
Pragda
Pragda: www.pragda.com [6]Spanish Film Club: www.spanishfilmclub.com
[7]

Links:
------
[1]
https://pragda.com/spanish-film-club/spanish-film-club-and-covid-19-faqs/
[2] https://pragda.com/spanish-film-club/application/
[3] https://pragda.com/spanish-film-club/
[4] http://www.pragda.com/
[5] https://pragda.com/spanish-film-club
[6] http://www.pragda.com/
[7] http://www.spanishfilmclub.com/

----
Learn to speak like a film/TV professor! Listen to the ScreenLex
podcast:
http://www.screenlex.org