SCREEN-L Archives

September 2001, Week 3

From:
Deron Albright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:02:22 -0400
Greetings all,

This too from a persistent lurker to the list.

Last night, watching CNN for the upteenth hour of the past week, I was stunned yet again as I read that a man in my town (Huntington Station, Long Island, NY) was arrested with a pipe bomb he intended to use against "an Arab."

I'm not sure that as media and scholars we're missing the point by highlighting films and videos that have fed stereotypes, mis-represented Islam, "terrorism," etc.  While this is undoubtedly instructive to a point, cataloguing past media bias is going to focus precious little attention to the problems we now face - i.e., a mobilized, military response, an extended "war" on terrorism - and the attached xenophobia that swirls around it.  The larger question, I believe, is what kind of society are we to become in lieu of this response.  And films dealing with that are few and far between.

That being said, I have one recommendation meant in all seriousness - Paul Verhoeven's STARSHIP TROOPERS.  Fans of the film will know exactly why.

Best to all,
Deron Albright

Deron Albright
Film and Media Arts