SCREEN-L Archives

April 1996, Week 1

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 1996 13:50:41 -0600
Ron Hoffman inquires:
"I am showing my film class "Some Like It Hot."  This is a 1959 movie.
Could anyone name any films where cross dressing plays a MAJOR role PRIOR
to the Wilder movie?  Is there anything in silent film?  Thanks in advance.
Oh ya.  Now that I think of it, there is "Glen or Glenda.""

A few obvious ones:
        QUEEN CHRISTINA
        CHARLEY'S AUNT
        I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE
        There's one Laurel & Hardy short where they play themselves as their wives

Look also for film versions of Shakespeare, such as TWELFTH NIGHT and AS YOU
LIKE IT.

Some cited by Halliwell include:
        Wallace Beery as "Swedy" in a silent series
        Lon Chaney in THE UNHOLY THREE
        Lionel Barrymore in THE DEVIL DOLL
        William Powell in LOVE CRAZY
        Joe E. Brown in THE DARING YOUNG MAN
        KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS
        and many others--see "Tranvestitism" in HALLIWELL'S FILMGOERS COMPANION.

There is also discussion of these motifs in Vito Russo's THE CELLULOID CLOSET
(and the recent film adaptation of the same) and many other books and articles.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)