SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 4

From:
Fore Steven James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 15:41:08 CST
The first thing I'd suggest is expanding your theoretical base beyond
Schiller's "classical" cultural imperialism/media imperialism model,
which I find reductive and paternalistic, with only the crudest
conception of audiences and patterns of reception (i.e., it's pretty much
the post-Frankfurt School mass culture picture of viewers as drooling,
passive slaves of the culture industry).

As a corrective, a good place to start is John Tomlinson, Cultural
Imperialism (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins UP, @1992).  And there has been
some publication on telenovelas in English-language journals--somebody
want to post specific citations?

Steve Fore
U of N Texas