SCREEN-L Archives

October 2016, Week 5

From:
Carol Vernallis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Oct 2016 18:44:36 -0700
Dear Screen-L participants:

I wanted to let you know I have a piece entitled "Audiovisuality and the
Media Swirl: Campaign 2016" just out in Flow Journal:

http://www.flowjournal.org/2016/10/audiovisuality-and-the-media-swirl/

It draws on my article about media and the Obama Campaign 2008 (attached).
If you notice any election-based viral media with interesting soundtracks I
missed, please send the links on to me.

As I was finishing this piece, I had an idea for a crowdsourced
analysis/media-literacy exercise (call pasted below). I've put the call out
through SCMS, and I'll also contact IASPM and some other listservs. Unruly
Media has offered to amplify the call.

I think this is a wonderful project for high school and college students
(and then their parents might be more encouraged to vote). I think it's
also a way of encouraging more writing about soundtracks and moving media
(I still haven't seen much journalism that covers both the music and the
image). I'm learning a lot about how to get the word out through viral
media just by doing this project. A funded YouTube clip with a star that's
picked up by news services is the way to go.

Here's the website. I'm working on it now -

https://people-dev.stanford.edu/cvernall/.

Abstracts can be sent to [log in to unmask]

Feel free to tweet, post, and Facebook the call. If you know of anyone
who'd like to chip in, please let me know.

Best wishes,

Carol

+++

250 words in 2.5 Days: Sounding Out the Election: Music, Media and Text

In homage to crowdsourcing and new forms of media literacy, several
organizations (SCMS and Trax on the Trail) have come together to support a
conversation about media content in this election.

Write 250-300 words that describe the music and image of an audiovisual
clip connected with the Presidential campaign--a political ad, a TV
package, a YouTube meme, a music video. Include a description of the
soundtrack (paying special attention to some of its musical
features—rhythm, arrangement, genre, etc.) and the image. Email your
mini-essays to me using the subject 250; include a link to your clip. Some
of the essays will be selected for publication in Trax on the Trail and
Film Criticism. Poets, music journalists, media critics, academics,
high-school students, YouTube fans, and the general public are all invited
to participate. No trolling. Entries will be moderated and published as a
longer listserv. We ask that all submitters promise to vote and/or
encourage three others to vote. DUE 11/7; selected essays will be published
November 8.