SCREEN-L Archives

March 1991

Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 91 12:07:27 EST
I'm a new subscriber in Montreal, and there's something I wonder if
anyone has some views on.  As a student filmmaker, my main interest
is documentary-making.  But I seem to be quite alone in this pursuit.
At last year's Canadian Student Film Festival, for example, my film
was one of only 7 documentaries in competition, out of about 70 films
altogether.  The popular genres seem to be fiction and animation.
Why is this so?  Is documentary simply not "trendy" at the moment? Is it
not seen as a potentially profitable field?  Or does it have something
to do with the relatively high shooting ratio needed to make a
documentary... perhaps video is seen as a cheaper way to make document-
aries?  What do you think?