SCREEN-L Archives

June 2000, Week 2

Date:
Sat, 10 Jun 2000 12:32:27 -0500
> Palma continually runs into trouble. He loves using split-screen and split-
> focus, which only works in widescreen. The recent pan-and-scan release of
> SNAKE EYES had to resort to "letterbox" for one sequence because the
> problem was so obvious.
The tape of _Pillow Talk_ does this for some scenes (though interestingly,
not in the main title).  I know this because they were playing it at
Suncoast.  The only time I saw it it was on laserdisc, and a lot of scenes
make you wonder how it would work in pan and scan.  _The Wiz_ is in
harmatted 1.85 and some scenes look incredibly stupid on video with
characters half-in the image, while some scenes are letterboxed to
eliminate that problem (actually, only the main and end credits, and
Dorothy's "Home" solo, where characters appear at the left and right of
the screen that are important).

Scott