SCREEN-L Archives

November 1994, Week 3

From:
James Tichenor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Nov 1994 16:44:31 CST
G'day :-)

>Forget Cinemania - its a toy

Agreed.

>Forget Motion Picture Guide - its all Hollywood

Agreed. But what's wrong with Hollywood :-)

>The two big work-horses at this Library are as follows:
>The British Film Institute's Film Index International
>Distributed by Chadwick Healy : Fax the UK on 0223-66440; and
>FIAF's International Index to Film Periodicals; Fax 44-71-224-1203.
>The former gives cast and crew info., plus synposes for over 70,000 films
>and also provides links to information in periodicals.  The latter gives
>subject access and also periodical links.  Both cover the world.

Sounds fabulous! 70,000 films :-) God, who could ever track down a 1/5
of those :-)

>We bought BFI's FII for AUS$2250, FIAF for AUS$945 and MPG for AUS$1190.
>Cinemania is great value at less than $100.

MPG for AUS$1190? Hmmm, you must be buying print. The CD-ROM cost me $99.

>Is there a CD-ROM database (or paper for that matter) that covers
>Bollywood.  At 800-900 feature films per year; isn't it a crying shame
>that the world remains ignorant of Indian popular cinema; and what of
>China.  Just a thought!

Well, it'd be wonderful to see what they are producing, but I wonder (and
don't flip) if we don't see the best of what both countries are offering
at our film festivals. You consider the crap the US puts out as compared to
the good. Not everything Indian or Chinese will be good. Chances are most
will not. Plus, where you gonna see it? :-)

>Neil Pollock

James