SCREEN-L Archives

December 1995, Week 1

From:
Rick Prelinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 1995 02:02:39 -0500
I tend to agree that the minesweeping films were probably made by
Wilding, who did a lot of Navy work in WW2.  But Burton Holmes did make
industrial and vocational films; they are credited for "technical
production" on the great series of Vocational Guidance Films made 1940-47
for Carl H. Mahnke Productions of Des Moines.

They are most famous, of course, for the Burton Holmes travelogues, begun
with lantern slides by Mr. Holmes in the late 19th century and later as
lectures accompanied by motion pictures.

For info on Holmes, you might wish to contact the Human Studies Film
Archives at the Smithsonian(202 357-3349) or find a book written about
Holmes by searching library catalogs (I forget the title and author).

Rick Prelinger
Prelinger Archives, NYC